WOMEN’S AVALANCHE AWARENESS & BACKCOUNTRY TRAVEL CLINIC:
FREEDOM IN THE SNOW COVERED MOUNTAINS
Please join us for an opportunity to experience the freedom of safely traveling through the snow covered mountains. This program is designed for women who want to improve their backcountry travel skills and gain experience in order to feel more knowledgeable, comfortable and independent in their winter backcountry adventures. We want to help you build confidence, gain knowledge, meet great people and experience personal growth. We’d love to have you along!
Overall Course Outline:
- Friday Evening – 6 to 8pm – Basic refresher focused on the decision making process and risk management, avalanche problems and human factors, avalanche terrain identification and use/travel, reading/applying the bulletin, safety topics including rescue, critical safety gear and an emergency plan.
- Saturday & Sunday- all day – Meet for coffee to develop a tour plan by applying snow and weather field observations and the local avalanche bulletin to terrain choices. Then utilize our tour plan to practice terrain selection and leadership roles…..and ski together!
- Sunday Evening – Dinner together to close the weekend
Specific Learning Objectives & Outcomes:
- Enjoy fun days with other women in the mountains!
- Develop a decision making process & how to apply it.
- Understand avalanche problems & how to identify them and avoid them in the terrain.
- Apply avalanche bulletin & field observations to tour.
- Understand avalanche terrain characteristics and how to choose terrain and travel wisely.
- Beacon search refresher.